Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Summer Scent Perfection

When it comes to summer scents that are watery and breezy perfection, I don't think you can do any better than Hermes' Un Jardin Sur Le Nil.

I love this fragrance and loved reading about it's creation in Chandler Burr's book The Perfect Scent. All the mental images of the Nile River and travel to remote islands to find a fragrances inspiration was the equivalent of an old Hollywood love story complete with soft focus and black and white scenes.

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil starts out green and while it has just a touch of sweetness it is not flowery to me but crystalline and shimmering. The drydown retains that slight sharpness and adds some wood to the base.

My one and only complaint is that like the shimmering beauty it embodies, it doesn't last long. I find myself wanting to douse myself in it just so I can keep that cool watery feeling going. At $125 a bottle, dousing myself is a bit cost prohibitive.

Alas I will just have to live with this one drawback and be satisfied with it's otherwise flawless loveliness!

No comments: