Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rescue Your Nails - Ji Baek

This is a great book and I loved every minute. I picked this little book up over Memorial Day weekend right after getting my own fingers and toes done and read it cover to cover.

Ji Baek, the owner of Rescue Beauty Lounge, has written a practical and easy to use reference for everything from how to mani/pedi yourself into perfection, salon etiquette and cleanliness, to picking a nail color that you will love.

While she does not give any product endorsements, other than her own brand, she gives great tips on what to look for when shopping for the best tools and even what may be hiding in your kitchen or bathroom arsenal that is just right for the job.

Rescue Your Nails answered nearly ever question I had about how to get it right when I want to do my own nails at home and reinforced my standards for what to look for at a nail salon. Ji Baek makes the point that nail salons are everywhere but they are not equal. I personally would rather pay a bit more for my nail services and get the attention to cleanliness that is important to me. One of my favorite local nail salons uses the greenest products available from polish removers to the polish itself and I really notice a difference in the look and health of my nails.

At $12.95 this is a wonderful addition to your beauty library and a fun read as well.

As a side note, some of the best products that my salon has introduced me to are Butter London, Zoya, Orly, and Spa Ritual. Zoya's Remove + is my go to polish remover because it is a mild acetone and doesn't leave my nails looking like the Sahara....it also has a pleasant lavender scent. There are many good non-acetone options out there that use fruit acids instead and are worth checking out if you are interested. No-Miss is a good place to start.

No comments: