Monday, June 30, 2008

No Makeup, Makeup

As noted in my previous post Sephora is joining the ranks of many companies that inevitably jump on the flesh toned makeup band wagon at some point during the summer. As I also said in the previous post, I just don't get it.

Maybe its just me but I am not a fan of this look. In the interests of full disclosure I am a pale skinned gal with blondish hair and flesh toned makeup is a one way ticket to looking like a corpse for me.

Besides, I like the look of makeup whether it is subtle or MAC girl glam! I love a baby pink lipgloss or a strong red cream lipstick. I am equally captivated by an eye shadow palette of neutrals or the turquoise eye that is the summer trend. The point is I like makeup in nearly all its forms with the exception of the flesh tones that could be mistaken for foundation in a lipstick tube.

Now there is the exception of foundation....the more a foundation looks like your flawless skin and not a face full of makeup the better.

Don't get me wrong, I like different makeup for different occasions and I never want my makeup to look like its wearing me and not the other way around. I am not saying Tammy Fay had it right.....what I am saying is I love the look of well done makeup that enhances you or if you choose to go for shimmery, smokey drama then so be it! Just no thank you on the lip gloss that looks like putty in the tube!

One of the worst offenders in my humble opinion was the Lancome Daria Werbowy collection. I loved that a portion went to charity and am all for that, but those lipstick colors and the gloss...oh lord above they were awful! Don't bother with the hate mail as I know from other blogs that some loved this stuff and couldn't get enough. Suffice it say I am not in that crowd. The eye palette was alright with 4 neutral colors. While the colors were fine they didn't wow me but at least they stayed away from the corpse chic of the gloss....sorry Lancome!

So I put the question to you dear readers....what do you think of this no makeup, makeup? Do you purchase flesh toned products or leave flesh matching colors to foundation?

No comments: