Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lessons of a Lipstick Queen - Book Review

As promised I am reporting back on this book I picked up about 2 weeks ago when I met Poppy King the creator of Lipstick Queen.

Lessons of a Lipstick Queen is part personal story and part business book. It makes for a fast read and Poppy King's writing voice is witty and fun.

I would be lying if I didn't admit that the "My Story" sections were my favorite. Poppy King wove paragraphs of her own journey and the creation of her brand into bigger lessons/observations about what did and didn't work and what she learned along the way. But it was the "My Story" paragraphs that had me feeling like one of those people who only eats the tops of muffins or the chocolate coating on ice cream...in other words a little glutinous.

I couldn't help it! It was fascinating to me how at 18 she went out and started a lipstick brand that was a multi-million dollar company within 2 years. I got such a kick out of the fact that when she wanted to find a company to manufacture her lipsticks she just picked up the phone book and started calling. It seems so obvious, one of those, why didn't I think of that moments!

Overall this is a fun read that anyone who loves makeup or ever nursed a dream to start a business will enjoy. Happy Reading!

No comments: