Friday, July 18, 2008

Mascara Showdown

When I was asked the other day what my favorite mascara was my response was how much do you want to spend?

I avoid the drugstore for most of my makeup needs because there aren't any testers and I just don't like to guess what colors really look like or the texture of products. I am a bit braver when it comes to mascara and that is how I found choice #1 Max Factor Lash Perfection Volume Couture.

The main thing that persuaded me was I could get a good gander at the brush as you can see in the picture and it appeared to be like choice #2 Chanel Inimitable, but I was skeptical.

Chanel came out with Inimitable about a year ago and it was love at first swipe! Some girls go for length, others volume, but for me separation is paramount. I don't care how long or voluminous a mascara makes my lashes because if they are all stuck together and clumpy I look like a Tammy Fay wannabe!

Chanel's brush is the plastic spiky variety and it does a great job at keeping me out of Tammy Fay territory. It takes a few coats to achieve the volume I require but that is okay by me as the results are separate lashes that make the most of my stubby lashes. Chanel's Inimitable does not flake or run and washes right off at the end of the day. In my book this is an A+. I gave a tube to my best pal for her opinion and she too became a believer that $27.50 is a reasonable amount to spend on mascara.

By contrast Max Factor is $6 and I have to say does nearly as good a job. The only difference I notice is you have to work a bit harder to get the volume you want, but this is not a big deal in my book.

The person who asked me about my favorite mascara asked the logical follow up question which was why would I pay nearly $30 bucks for Chanel when I could just be satisfied with Max Factor. I informed my questioner that the definition of Inimitable is incapable of being imitated or copied; surpassing imitation; matchless! And Chanel named their mascara appropriately.

In truth I keep both mascaras on hand but there is just something about Chanel's formula that is just a bit better, that makes it matchless!

What is your favorite mascara or are you still on the hunt?

No comments: