Thursday, September 11, 2008

Target Goes Higher End

Just a few days ago I received my magazine subscriptions and in both Allure and Instyle there were advertisements and beauty editor chatter about the high end makeup lines that are doing a version of their goods for Target. I was just at my local Target back to school shopping and didn't spy the new stuff but I decided to head back to scope it out.

Well lo and behold there these lines were. The first that caught my eye was Jemma Kidd's offering of liners, shadows and the palette pictured. Right next to JK was Napoleon Perdis which was recently on clearance at Sephora and Pixi by Petra Strand.

Target was trying to create a Sephora-like atmosphere with some open testers and cotton swabs for swatching. What I noticed right away was that the testers were seriously thrashed, maybe people are just on their best behaviour at Sephora and don't mangle the testers, but these were in need of some tlc.

I also noticed the prices on these lines and they aren't cheap! The palette pictured is $38 and individual shadows are $18 for JK with NP and Pixi being comparable. Again maybe it's just me but I can't imagine the average Target shopper being willing to shell out these department store prices for artist lines they have probably never heard of. I mean Jemma Kidd has a great line but it is normally available at Neiman Marcus and it's pricey. But then again I am in Neiman's and expect those prices while at Target they are a bit of shock.

When you consider that my beloved MAC's single shadows are $13 and their four pan palettes are $36 I think you can see why I am skeptical. I am all for bringing good makeup to the masses but I think Sonia Kashuk's line at Target does it well and at a much nicer price point.

I encourage you to check this stuff out and tell me what you think and if you are willing to pay these prices at Target.

No comments: