Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Magazine Foreplay



This lovely magazine arrived in my mailbox today and I have already devoured it cover to cover! It's not my fault, the Annual Best Beauty Buys were calling me from the cover and would be responsible for this reading frenzy! Which brings me around nicely to the title of this post.

I buy LOTS of magazines just for their beauty sections. I am of the feeling that all of those pages between the front cover and the actual beauty pages are just foreplay. Now you might say that those articles are meant to be read, not skimmed in my haste to get to the good stuff. Well I say, politely, you're nuts! It's all just build up until I can get to the beauty editors picks and begin my couch commentary.

Going with the ummm, bedroom analogy, like rushing through the foreplay sometimes you are left satisfied and sometimes not so much.

This issue covers over 140 products and some I feel are clear winners and others I just don't understand. Givenchy Flirting Brown lipstick is on page 401 and its a gorgeous, superb berry shade. Featured on page 404 is Prescriptive's Site Unseen concealer which promises to both hide circles while brightening and has me ready to run right out and see if the promises are to be believed.

Instyle's choice for cream shadows is not a favorite for me. The pick is Nars, which is one of my favorite brands. I own a small fortunes worth (okay a large fortune) of their makeup and recommend many things highly (Outlaw blush being one), but the cream shadows just don't work for me. As mentioned in my first post, I have oily skin and these cream shadows just wander around my eyelid and as the article states, they never really dry down. This probably isn't a problem for someone with normal or dry skin, but for me it's the kiss of death!

Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow and gel liner are like manna from heaven! They stay put through an entire day and that includes the gym, which for me is nothing short of a miracle.

All in all I say, get yourself a copy and peruse the beauty pages or if unlike me, you like more foreplay, I did see an article about Renee Zellweger as the pages flew by!

No comments: